Recommendations from the Department of Early Learning
For the Professional Educator Standards Board
January 31, 2013
Recommendations for EdTPA and student teaching for Early Childhood Education and multiple endorsements
- Angela Abrams Department of Early Learning
- Cheri Raff Centralia College
- Juliet Morrison Department of Early Learning
- Bill Blair Early Childhood Certified Teacher
Early Childhood Recommendations
- Candidates will be required to pass WEST-E’s in all endorsed areas.
- Candidates are provided field experience in all competency areas.
- Field experience and student teaching experience in early childhood settings are required for all candidates pursuing ECE endorsements.
- Student teaching and/or field experiences should follow the National Association for the Education of Young Children 2010 Standards for Advanced Early Childhood Professional Preparation Programs.
Questions for Further Consideration:
- Is it possible to expand elementary education and special education course content to include birth to five years if endorsement pairings with Early Childhood Education is desired?
- Will changes in curriculum be required for EdTPA candidates desiring multiple endorsements?
- Is it possible for candidates to pursue multiple endorsements without increasing student resources such as course work, time and financial responsibility?