FROM: Patti Larriva, Director Teacher Assessments, PESB
Mea Moore, Director, Educator Pathways, PESB
SUBJECT: Preservice edTPA Alignment Work Group
Date: August 23, 2012
Greetings from the Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB). PESB Members recognize and value the input and expertise from statewide stakeholder groups, preparation programs and professional associations as crucial to their work. PESB would appreciate your consideration of this request to serve on the Preservice edTPA Alignment Work Group.
With the implementation of the edTPA, new developments have surfaced related to its use with pre-service candidates seeking to exit preparation programs with multiple endorsements. As some of you may be aware, at the July 2012 PESB meeting, PESB Members directed staff to convene a stakeholder work group to examine the use of the edTPA and student teaching placements for pre-service candidates seeking to exit preparation programs with multiple endorsements. At the meeting PESB staff presented tables with initial recommendations for the following types of endorsement parings:
- Alignment tables of related endorsements (e.g. mathematics and chemistry);
- Alignment tables of somewhat related endorsements (e.g. middle level math and chemistry);
- Alignment tables of unrelated endorsements (e.g. mathematics and history).
Purpose of PESB Preservice edTPA Alignment Work Group
The goals of the Preservice edTPA Alignment Work Group are:
1) Review the draft alignment tables for related, somewhat related and unrelated endorsements;
2) Identify which endorsement parings may require specific placements and number and types of edTPAs;
3) Provide the Board with recommendations for their review and discussion related to how the knowledge and skill areas of unrelated endorsements can be addressed through the edTPA and student teaching placements.
Information for Representatives serving on the Preservice edTPA Alignment Work Group
By agreeing to serve on the Preservice edTPA Alignment Work Group, PESB respectfully asks the following:
- The expectation is that the representative will commit to attending all meetings. In the event the designated person cannot attend meetings, PESB asks the representative to inform PESB staff and select an alternate;
- The representative will be responsible for communicating the work group’s progress, findings, outcomes and process to the constituency that they represent;
- The representative will respond to meeting notices, outputs from meetings in a timely manner. Representatives are requested to alert PESB staff if they have questions related to meeting outputs or processes employed during the meetings;
- Representatives are requested to provide input on the outcomes of the work group findings to the Board through Public testimony at the PESB meeting or submitted in writing to PESB Administrative Executive Pamela Cook at: Pamela.Cook@k12.wa.us 360-725-6273;
- PESB staff has created a webpage on the PESB website where attendance, materials, information and outcomes from each meeting will be posted. PESB asks that the work group representative utilize the webpage for updates and information related to the charge, and directs their constituents to access the webpage for information as well. In addition, expectations for participation on the work group are listed on the PESB web page at:
Logistics and Timeline
The Preservice edTPA Alignment work group will convene one face to face meeting (October 3rd) to establish protocols. Mileage re-imbursements will be provided by PESB (up to 300 miles). PESB staff will convene all remaining meetings using electronic meeting formats (e.g. Go to Meeting). PESB staff will present the work group recommendations at the March 2013 PESB meeting.
Confirming Participation on the Preservice edTPA Alignment Work Group
Please respond to this invitation by providing PESB staff with your decision as to whether or not you intend to participate. Please send the following information to PESB no later than September 14, 2012:
Name, title, affiliation, phone number, e-mail address
Send your confirmation information to:
Mea Moore, Director, Educator Pathways,
On behalf of PESB, we sincerely thank you for your consideration of this request. We look forward to hearing from you.