Purpose of PESB PPA-C Work Group
The original PPA was developed for pre-service candidates exiting teacher preparation programs. Because the instrument’s intended use was with pre-service teachers, the Board is requesting that staff convene a stakeholder’s work group for the purpose of re-packaging the PPA to better reflect the knowledge and skills that veteran teachers possess.
The goals of the PPA-C
- Review the existing PPA instrument.
- Identify which knowledge and skill areas of the PPA may not be needed to determine a certified veteran teacher’s ability to teach in a new endorsement area.
- Repackage the original PPA items and scoring rubric to be more appropriately aligned with the knowledge and skills that certified veteran teachers would need to demonstrate to add a new endorsement.
- Create a new observation instrument for use with certified veteran teachers seeking to add endorsements via Pathway 2, tentatively titled Performance-Based Pedagogy Assessment of Certified Teachers (PPA -C).
Currently there are 15 programs that offer Pathway 2 options for certified teachers. For a complete list of approved Pathway 2 endorsement alignments (Pathways Chart), visit the PESB Pathways website.
Pathway 2 is available for endorsements that are defined as related. Teachers seeking to add endorsements via Pathway 2 need to meet three requirements:
- 90 days of teaching in the current endorsement.
- Pass the WEST-E in the new endorsement area.
- Successfully complete a pedagogy assessment (PPA).
Criteria for Selecting Representatives
By agreeing to select a representative to serve on the PPA-C Work Group, PESB respectfully asks the following:
- The Association/Program/Stakeholder Group surveys a broad base of representatives to serve on the work group;
- The Association/Program/Stakeholder Group designates a representative with experience/ background / expertise related to the charge;
- If possible, please provide PESB with multiple representatives’ names. PESB will make the final selection of participants;
- The expectation is that the representative will commit to attending all meetings. In the event the designated person cannot attend meetings, PESB asks the Association/Program/Stakeholder Group to inform PESB staff and select an alternate to represent their constituency;
- The representative will be responsible for communicating the work group’s progress, findings, outcomes and process to the constituency that they represent;
- The representative will respond to meeting notices, outputs from meetings in a timely manner. Representatives are requested to alert PESB staff if they have questions related to meeting outputs or processes employed during the meetings;
- Association/Programs and Stakeholder Groups are requested to provide input on the outcomes of the work group’s findings to the Board through Public testimony at the PESB meeting or submitted in writing to PESB Administrative Executive Pamela Cook at: Pamela.Cook@k12.wa.us 360-725-6273
PESB Strategic Plan Goals related to the PPA-C Work Group
Goal 1 - Ensure that educator preparation programs supply highly effective educators that meet the needs of Washington’s students;
Goal 2 - Collaboratively establish policy and system supports for quality educator development along the career continuum;
Goal 4 - Provide Policy and Programmatic support to ESD’s and school districts to ensure a quality educator workforce.
Other important information related to PPA-C