Educator assessment requirements for Washington State
The assessment department of the Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB) manages all mandated educator assessments. The Washington State Legislature directed the PESB to establish the educator assessment system, including:
- The WEST-B (Washington Educator Skills Test Basic), an assessment of basic skills in reading, mathematics and writing.
- WEST-B alternatives: SAT and ACT scores may be substituted for WEST-B passing scores.
- The WEST-E(Washington Educator Skills Tests Endorsements), an assessment of content knowledge required for an endorsement.
- PPA(Performance-Based Pedagogy Assessment) an assessment for certified teachers adding an endorsement via pathway 2 (for some institutions, pathway 3 as well).
- Praxis II, an assessment for those seeking certification in School Psychologist, and School Counselor.
- ProTeach Portfolio, an online electronic portfolio assessment teachers complete to earn the professional certificate, a mandated second tier license.
- ACTFL (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages), an assessment for those seeking endorsements in Bilingual Education and designated world languages.
- edTPA (Teacher Performance Assessment), an online electronic portfolio assessment preservice candidates complete during student teaching.